Artel Scaffolding was engaged by Chorus who are part of the Byrne Group plc to provide the scaffolding for the refurbishment of the iconic Sea Containers House. This prominent riverfront building situated between the OXO Tower and Blackfriars Bridge required a range of scaffolding from demolition to both external and internal refurbishment scaffolding.
Initially, we had 8 weeks to complete the North elevation scaffold to provide the scaffold to hang the almost 2-tonne banner showing the picture of the Royal Family. This was required to be erected in time for the Royal Jubilee Procession and with the eyes of the world being on the River Thames in June 2012, this date was not negotiable.
Factors we had to consider were:
- Out of hours working to allow access to Riverside Walk.
- Consideration of noise levels for neighbouring residential buildings
- Due to the size of the banner, the scaffold had to be perfectly straight.
- Wind corridor along the river
- Thames Tidal patterns
- Front overhang to the river
Some of the systems we put in place to overcome these considerations were:
- Communication with the client through separate weekly design, progress, and Health and Safety meetings.
- Additional dedicated on-site managers
- Excellent Artel trained operatives